Thursday, August 31, 2017

Blue LED light for acne


I will admit that I am a total research junkie! I will not believe in something unless it is backed by scientific research. One of the perks of being in college is having access to peer reviewed scientific research articles. I can spend all day reading scientific findings and actually enjoy it! LED light is one of the most researched skin care devices on the market.

However, even with all the research in the world I just have to see it to believe it. This is especially true for ANY acne product, as acne is one of the most finicky skin concerns and there is no one product that works universally for those suffering from breakouts. 

In addition to my total nerd status of reading research articles, I am also a TOTAL skeptic. Anyone that works with me will tell you this. And honestly, I absolutely hate being so negative about 90% of skincare products but 90% are absolute garbage. I usually just keep my mouth shut when some new "holy grail anti aging, pore reducing, skin smoothing, glow enhancing, moisturizing, and mattifying" BS comes out, in attempt to not rain on my coworker's parades. So needless to say I was 100% skeptical of LED light treatments, especially lower strength devices sold over the counter. 

I ordered the professional Lightstim Acne light to use in the spa on my clients, but as with anything I use on my clients, I first put it to the test on myself. I have dry as the Sahara skin, that is congested by any moisturizer and consequently, breaks out. It is a constant battle between dryness and breakouts. So with acne treatments being geared towards oily skin, anything I used to treat breakouts worsens the dryness. 

But wait for it.....YUP you guess it, blue LED light is the holy grail answer! I was blown away by this treatment. I can finally use something to treat and prevent breakouts without drying my skin. Blue LED light works by killing the bacteria UNDER the skin. Thus, preventing breakouts from ever arising. 

Additionally, if I do have a current acne lesion the LED light will prevent it from surfacing. What does this mean? It dissipates the potential for scarring as the breakout does not surface and thus does not require extracting. 

It is so easy to use at home as well, after cleansing and applying my usual nightly skin care regime I get all cozy in bed or on the couch and plug in my light. I turn it on and hold it directly against the skin, preventing any precious light from escaping, and hold it there for approximately 3-5 minutes. I no longer use a timer and just hold it longer in my problem areas for good measure. I typically use my light a few times a week, and if take some time off I will get a few breakouts here and there. Like with anything in Skincare, consistency is key. There are a lot of LED lights on the market. I chose Lightstim for their 5-year warranty, price point, amazing customer service, quality and is the only LED light company based in the US. 

If you are suffering from major or minor breakouts I highly recommend blue light treatments. Lightstim retails theirs for $169 , or for a stronger treatment, I offer LED light treatments as part of a $50 acne facial at my private practice, Esthology Skincare in Upland, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment