Thursday, August 15, 2013

Clinique Clarifying Lotions 1,2,3,4 & mild review


Clinique is a brand I had a really hard time getting into when I first began my Sephora career. My first training with the brand consisted of the brand representative boasting about how I should use Clinique because my mother and grandmother probably used Clinique,  how Clinique has been around for 40+ years and so on and so on. Well, that's wonderful for them and all, but what about those of us who aren't as eager to hop onto the Clinique bandwagon? Why should I use these products just because they've been around forever? With all the new technology and the sheer lack of actual product knowledge I received, I became convinced there were better brands to use. While I still feel this way about many of their products, mostly the ones that have been unchanged since day one, I have grown very fond of quite a few Clinique products over the years. I love the fact that they do not include fragrances. I know I have not gone into my hatred for fragrance in skincare products yet, I will save that for a future review, but believe me, it's there!

The Clarifying Lotions 1, 2,3 &4 are Clinique's step 2 in their 3 step system. They are a thin liquid consistency, unlike the title "lotion" would imply. They are applied with a cotton applicator like a toner would be after cleansing, and then meant to be followed by their infamous "Dramatically Different Moisturizer".  The lotions are marketed as exfoliants, and the different numbers refer to the different skin types each one is best suited for.  The Clarifying Lotions have been updated not too long ago to actually include a few beneficial hydrating ingredients, however, the amount of alcohol that is still contained in lotions 1,2,3 and 4  is going to produce the exact opposite effects on the skin, thus canceling the benefits of the hydrating ingredients. When alcohol is applied to the skin it destroys skin cells, creates free radical damage, and strips the skin of healthy, natural oils. Denatured alcohol is the 2nd ingredient on the list, meaning it makes up a vast majority of the product! I also do not agree with the fact that these are marketed as exfoliants. While they do include salicylic acid, which is indeed an exfoliating ingredient they just do not provide sufficient exfoliation and are misleading to consumers.  The first time I tried one of these lotions, the Clinique representative rubbed the saturated cotton round on the back of one of my hands and then instructed me to compare my hand's side by side. This is the oldest trick in the book! If a representative ever instructs you to do this please do not be fooled! The difference you will see in your hands is merely caused by the rubbing motion on the skin. It increases circulation on the skin and it will appear brighter and have a more even tone due to the blood flow.

So I realize for those that have been religiously using Clinique's 3 step system for the last 10-30 years are probably not about to take a blind leap off the bandwagon that they have been comfortably bumping along on. However, if they are coming to me with their skin concerns, I feel it is my duty as an esthetician to politely give them a nice solid shove towards the Mild Clarifying Lotion, it is the only one of the lotions that do not contain alcohol. Which, I have found many people including my fellow Sephora cast are completely unaware of. The mild version is the only one out of all 5 lotions that do not contain alcohol, and I highly recommend it to assist in removing excess makeup after cleansing, extra hydration, and VERY MILD exfoliation with a .5% salicylic acid. In conjunction with the mild lotion, I would still recommend a deeper exfoliation a few times a week for most skin types; or for acne prone skin a higher percent salicylic acid in a separate leave on product.





4 comments:

  1. I do use the #2 regularly and it really does great with getting rid of any flaky or rough dry spots I have before putting on a moisturizer and makeup. As you said it's like a toner and not a heavy exfoliator, but it's easy enough on the face to use regularly.
    I am in my 30's and my mother got me on the bandwagon of Clinique because of it's lack of fragrance as you mentioned and because the majority of the products are good for sensitive skin. My mother's a red head with fair sensitive skin and has allergies to fragrances and other things. I am not as sensitive as her, but Clinique is one of the few brands I've used that my skin doesn't have to go through a break out period as my skin gets used to the product I'm using. I love some Mary Kay products as well that I use off and on. Some of these products when I stop using them and then return to them I go through a fun breakout period. Several other brands do the same for my skin. With Clinique I never have this issue. So I have stayed with the brand since I was a teen.

    I have seen the mild clarifying lotion, but never used it. I will definitely give it a try in comparison.

    I also recommend giving Clinique's moisture surge a try if you haven't. It is my favorite lotion that I use at night before bed or when my skin is incredibly dry.

    Clinique isn't an exciting brand of makeup to go shopping for compared to some other more trendy popular brands, but it's been the best for my mildly sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your question and reading my blog post! The fact that you have large pores all over means that you were born with an oily skin type. This can not be changed but only controlled. It is likely that the Clinique toner is only going to agrevate your skin by stripping your skin of its natural oil. The skin will work to achieve homeostasis and produce even MORE oil to compensate for the stripping effects of the toner. When my clients are just starting a regimen a toner is the last product I would concern them with.

    First you need a simple cleanser that is not going to strip your skin, I highly recommend Drunk Elephant. They have completely reinvented bar soap and it is AMAZING. They have a travel duo you can get to try it out.

    Next you need something to hydrate your skin that is not too heavy or emollient, a serum or a lightweight moisturizer will be plenty for your skin. Kate Sommerville's Quench serum or a gel moisturizer like Belifs Aqua Bomb would be great for you skin type!

    Finally you need to exfoliate your skin, this is going to help with the breakouts. You can use a product that remains on the skin or something that is rinsed off but it needs to be a chemical exfoliant. These are the only exfoliants that are capable of penetrating the pore to clear it out. Look into Drunk Elephants Baby Facial or TLC night serum these are some of the best formulations I have seen at Sephora.

    These are the 3 product categories you need to invest in to get your skin on the right track! I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your blog post. I'm really disappointed that #2 contains alcohol! I'd heard bad things about alcohol toners before, so I was already cursing myself for not asking about that when the clinique counter woman more about the controversy around it.
    #2 works so well for my flaky, crusty T-zone unlike my Korean non-alcohol toner which does NOTHING AT ALL for my dry patches. What would you recommend I do?
    Figure out what is causing the dry patches or do you have a good product to recommend?
    I'm put off from using #2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been searching online for days and suddenly came across your blog post, thabk you for this! I've just tried the clarifying lotion for 3 days, and immediately my skin felt tight, got red and SUPER dry. I stopped, it's been a week, and it's still so dry, like stretched sand paper. I've never had this before! Any thoughts on what I can do to help my skin? It is so stretched it looks like I have a million new wrinkles on my face... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete