Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Out with the old in with the new! It's chemical peel time!

I am currently on day 2 of a 14% Modified Jessner's Peel I performed on myself.  About 3 weeks prior I had completed a 30% salicylic peel, with only minor peeling; I decided to increase to a stronger peel to really tackle my problematic skin. I used a Glo Professional peel which contains 14% lactic acid, 14% salicylic acid, and 14% Resorcinol with a pH of 2.00. Prior to the peel, I had been using a glycolic hydroquinone serum to ensure my hyperpigmentation would not worsen from the peel.

First, I thoroughly cleansed my skin with a foaming cleanser and my Clarisonic to remove any superficial dead skin. I then followed with the Glo Professional Peel Prep to gently strip the skin of oils to ensure an even peel. Then began the fun part! 

When I applied the first layer of the peel, the burning sensation took a good minute to really begin, it felt the strongest on my cheekbones, nose, and chin. I waited about 5 minutes before applying another layer because the burning lasted a bit longer than I expected.  The 2nd layer was much easier, I felt this the strongest around my nose. I continued the same process for 4 layers all over and an extra on my forehead for good measure. The peel had a strong raspberry scent, unlike the 30% salicylic I'd done prior, which smelled like straight rubbing alcohol.  My face was red and felt raw and tight. I left the peel on and went to bed.


The next morning my face was still red and about 2 shades darker. I rinsed my skin and applied a hydrating oil followed by a heavy moisturizer, which provided immediate relief from the extreme tightness I was feeling. I lived like a hermit the rest of the day, never leaving the house, with all the blinds pulled shut. I re-applied moisturizer about 7 times and laughed at myself in the mirror every time due to the uncanny resemblance between my skin and a mannequin, it was so tight and shiny. This morning my skin looked the same, still a couple of shades darker, and ridiculously shiny, but less red. I had to leave the house to get my books for school, so I piled on a mineral SPF 40 and layered that with an SPF 30 BB cream.  Little did I know I would also have to have my picture taken for my school ID, the flash bouncing off my face probably blinded the poor little old librarian! O well. I expect to start peeling very soon, just in time to go back to work. I will post pictures and update through out the process. 

I plan on doing a series of at least 6 over the next 6 months to improve my hyperpigmentation, scars, and congested pores and of course, you are all invited on my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment